Abraham Dickerson FarmhouseEdit profile
The Abraham Dickerson Farmhouse is a Registered Historic Place in Orange County, New York's Town of Montgomery. It is located on West Searsville Road, which was originally its entrance driveway.
Dickerson emigrated to the Hudson Valley from Long Island during the 1760s. He married Anna Mould, daughter of a prominent local family, bought land and built the house and a sawmill on the nearby Dwaar Kill, a tributary of the Wallkill River. The sawmill stopped running at the end of the century, and eventually a member of another prominent local family, the Van Alsts, bought the house in 1829. Renovations undertaken during this time were in the Greek Revival style then popular.
The rear ell of the house was designed to be a dancing parlor, and both the Dickersons and Van Alsts held many functions there on Saturday nights. When it was used as a boardinghouse in the 1920s, the dances were still well-attended enough that tenants were required to make sure it was available every week.
After that time, the house fell into disuse and was abandoned. It was renovated in the late 1970s and added to the Register in 1995.