Abdi İpekçi ArenaEdit profile
Abdi İpekçi Arena, formerly known as Abdi İpekçi Sports Complex, is a multi-purpose indoor arena located in the Zeytinburnu district of Istanbul, Turkey, situated just outside of the ancient city walls in Yedikule. Opened in 1986 after many years of interrupted construction, it is named after the renowned Turkish journalist Abdi İpekçi.
The arena has an audience capacity of 12,500. It hosts national and international sports events such as basketball, volleyball, wrestling and weightlifting, concerts and congresses among others. The facility contains a multi-faced visual scoreboard, six online-system counters, four locker rooms, two internet rooms, a press room, two multi-purpose offices, VIP rooms, etc. Its parking lot has a capacity of 1,500 cars. Also, the Spice Girls performed their first ever Concert there in October 1997.
The professional basketball teams of Galatasaray Men's Basketball Team and Galatasaray Medical Park Women's Basketball Team play their Turkish League home matches since the 2009-2010 season in the Abdi İpekçi Arena. Some of the notable events, which took place in the arena are:
- 1992 European Champions Cup Final Four
- 1995 European Cup final
- 1996 FIBA EuroStars
- 1997 Girl Power! Live in Istanbul
- 2001 Depeche Mode concert Exciter Tour
- 2001 European Basketball Championship Final phase
- 2004 Eurovision Song Contest
- 2005 Phil Collins Concert
- 2007 Enrique Iglesias Concert
- 2009 European Short Course Swimming Championships
- 2010 FIBA World Championship
- [ [2011 WWE RAW
In November, WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment), the company will host the show, SmackDown.