London Liverpool Street StationEdit profile
Liverpool Street originally comprised two distinct shed areas known as the Eastern train shed and the Western train shed. During the redevelopment of the station between 1985-1991 the Eastern shed was demolished and the Western shed was re-configured. The original station occupied a site of approximately 10 acres and was partially built on the former Bethlem Hospital site. Some of the remaining land required was brought under compulsory purchase from nearby companies. The large marble war memorial at Liverpool Street station commemorates those members of the Great Eastern Railway who lost their lives in the First World War. A further memorial, dedicated to the men of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire who died in the First World War is located on the adjacent wall. The station hotel, The Great Eastern Hotel, opened in May 1884. It was extended in 1901. This extension was known as the Abercorn Rooms and was linked to the Bishopsgate entrance of the station. The hotel now forms a separate building to the station and is privately run.
During 1985-1991 the station was redeveloped to meet modern requirements by British Rail’s ‘in-house’ Architecture and Design Department.