511 Federal BuildingEdit profile
The 511 Federal Building is a former federal post office that currently houses Department of Homeland Security offices for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Portland, Oregon, United States. It also housed various other government entities in the past such as the Department of Agriculture. The building opened in 1916 after being commissioned by the Secretary of the Treasury, one of the last post offices built under the 1893 Tarsney Act, and cost $1 million. It was designed by architect Lewis P. Hobart. It is located between Portland's Old Town Chinatown and the Pearl District. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, as the U.S. Post Office. The building is six stories high and has a footprint of approximately 20,000 square feet (1,900 m 2). The Department of Homeland Security is expected to vacate the building in the next few years. New sites have been selected in the nearby Pearl District, and in Southwest Portland. In autumn, 2005, the General Services Administration began working on the disposal of the building. The leading candidates to take over the space included the Pacific Northwest College of Art (PNCA) and Portland Public Market. In March, 2008, the PNCA announced the U.S. Department of Education and the General Services Administration had approved their application to make the building a permanent part of the school's campus.