24th street station
24th St. Station, also known as Baltimore and Ohio Railroad station, was an intercity railroad station built for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, designed by architect Frank Furness. It stood at 24th and Chestnut Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and opened in 1888.

The station was essentially built on stilts, with the main entrance from the Chestnut Street Bridge, 30 feet above ground level. The B&O trains ran under the bridge along the east bank of the Schuylkill River. Furness mixed Flemish Revival detailing with an industrial aesthetic of brick, iron and glass. Through the station's ingenious plan, he separated the flow of passengers waiting to board the trains from those arriving. The station was demolished in 1963.


4 photos and 1 drawing

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • vagabundo51
    vagabundo51 activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com