Évreux CathedralEdit profile
Évreux Cathedral (Cathédrale Notre-Dame d'Évreux) is a Roman Catholic cathedral, and national monument of France, in Évreux, Normandy. It is the seat of the Bishop of Évreux.Building description
Part of the lower portion of the nave dates from the 11th century. The west façade with its two ungainly towers is mostly from the late Renaissance. Various styles of the intervening period are represented in the rest of the church. A thorough restoration was completed in 1896.
The elaborate north transept and portal are in the flamboyant Gothic style; the choir, the finest part of the interior, is in an earlier Gothic style. Cardinal de la Balue, bishop of Évreux in the second half of the 15th century, constructed the octagonal central tower, with its elegant spire. To him is also due the Lady chapel, which is remarkable for its finely preserved stained glass. Two rose windows in the transepts and the carved wooden screens of the side chapels are masterpieces of 16th-century workmanship.
The bishop's palace, a building of the 15th century, adjoins the south side of the cathedral.Sources
- Catholic Hierarchy: Evreux
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Diocese of Évreux
- Photos of Evreux Cathedral
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company.
Coordinates: 49°1′27″N 1°9′3″E / 49.02417°N 1.15083°E / 49.02417; 1.15083