Žalgiris StadiumEdit profile
Žalgiris Stadium (Lithuanian: Žalgirio stadionas) is a multi-purpose stadium in Žirmūnai elderate of Vilnius, Lithuania. The stadium holds 15,030 and was being used by two teams in the Lithuanian top division A Lyga - Žalgiris Vilnius and FC Vilnius. It is the largest football stadium in Lithuania.
It is named after the Battle of Grunwald and was built by the German POWs after World War II and finished in 1950 on the site of the former Jewish Cemetery, which was closed some 120 years ago.
After independence it was used by Lithuania national football team, but in recent years it lost its meaning as the national stadium and all the international football matches were played either at S.Dariaus ir S.Girėno Stadium in Kaunas or at the newer Vėtra Stadium in Vilnius.
Current owners UAB „Žalgirio sporto arena“ are renting it to VMFD Žalgiris